September 10, 2005
Functions of Collective Intelligence - and Names for its Aspects
Collective intelligence is intelligence that arises from -- and is a capacity or characteristic of -- groups and other collective living systems.
Although collective intelligence can be coherently defined, in practice it is not one thing. It serves diverse functions, comes in diverse forms, and has many diverse names and aspects.
FUNCTIONS OF COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE
Collective intelligence can
NAMES FOR ASPECTS OF COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE
Many people -- including a large number of professional practitioners -- use or support collective intelligence without calling it "collective intelligence." They usually call it something else that fits their particular application. An examination of these names reveals distinct but overlapping and interconnected phenomena, which are here bundled into the category of "collective intelligence." All these names and phenomena can thus be usefully included as part of "collective intelligence" as a rich and broadly applicable interdisciplinary field of study and practice. Here are some of these names:
• Coordinating our co-authoring on the fly
• intro to "Convening the Field of Collective Intelligence"
• Collective Intelligence/Wisdom and Emerging Crises
• Functions of Collective Intelligence - and Names for its Aspects
• Not a core group, then what? pollen?
• Asking tech questions on the use of this blog
• Uploading documents and pictures
• Convening the Field of Collective Intelligence
• What constitutes "important" for an entry (vs. a comment)
• When to post a comment vs. a blog entry
Conference Design Elements
Design/logistics of Real-Time Meetings
Growing a CI Movement
Intersection of Top-down and Bottom-up
Leaning into the Unknown
Synergy of Physical and Virtual
The Field of Collective Intelligence