September 14, 2005
intro to "Convening the Field of Collective Intelligence"
draft, version 0.2
Tom, please comment on the text, and/or even better, post your new 0.3 as new entry. Comments from anybody else are also welcome!
What is a "source document"?
“A source document is a reference text for continual renewal, and something that can be returned to at any point of paradox or difficulty in making choices. It provides a basis for dialogue that generates meaning. ‘Source’ refers to the basic elements from which something emerges. It applies to those things that are continually emerging, that have lives of their own, that generate their own shape and identity. A ‘document’ enables us to relate current circumstances and current development to original intentions. This provides us with a connection to our history and identity...” -- Emergence, organisation and freedom: the sources of innovation, a talk by Michael McMaster, London 1997.)
August 28, 2005
Who Should Join our Core Group?
My suggestion would be that anyone can join us who
1. recognizes that there are multiple forms of (and "tribes" involved in) the broad field we're calling "collective intelligence and wisdom" (as suggested in my foundational articles);
2. believes that helping these diverse forms and tribes evolve
3. believes that before the end of 2006 there should be some sort of multi-day gathering of at least several dozen people (and preferably more) from all/most parts of this emerging field explicitly to facilitate (2a) and (2b) above; and
4. wants to be personally involved in catalyzing (2) and (3) with us. There need be no explicit shape to that personal involvement yet, just a calling to be involved in realizing the potential of (2) and (3).
I think anyone who meets all four criteria should be welcome to participate in this exploration. And anyone who does not meet all four criteria should not join us AT THIS STAGE, even if they have many other desirable qualifications. We may need to engage others (e.g., people with conference logistical skills and connections) later, once we are clearer on what we are doing.
What do you think of this as a standard? I feel that if all of us involved share these four points, there is a very good chance we will make good progress in Seattle 9/1-2.
August 26, 2005
The second invitation
The group that came together in response to our first invitation crafted a second, more elaborate invitation, on January 2nd, 2005, calling for a face-to-face meeting of the conveners group. We have not managed to arrange the timing and logistics of that meeting. However, most of the elements of that second invitation is still valid. See full text below.
First invitation to convene a gathering of CI practitioners
Responding to a need we sensed in the world for augmenting the CI of the CI field itself, Tom Atlee and myself sent the following invitation to two dozen colleagues, on July 3rd, 2004,
• intro to "Convening the Field of Collective Intelligence"
• Who Should Join our Core Group?
• The second invitation
• First invitation to convene a gathering of CI practitioners
Conference Design Elements
Design/logistics of Real-Time Meetings
Growing a CI Movement
Intersection of Top-down and Bottom-up
Leaning into the Unknown
Synergy of Physical and Virtual
The Field of Collective Intelligence